HOW TO GET THERE | Mt. TONGHUNG | HOUSE OF LI SUNG GYE | TEMPLES | MAJON BEACH | HUNGNAM FERTILISER PLANT | TONGBONG FARM | PUJON AND OKRYONSAN | MAP | HOTELS | TOURS
Hamhŭng is North Korea's second largest city, and the capital of South Hamgyŏng Province. It is one of the major industrial cities if the country and a port city. It has a population of 768,551 as of 2008. The city was heavily destroyed (80–90%) during the Korean War. From 1955–1962, Hamhŭng was the object of a large-scale program of reconstruction and development by East Germany including the build-up of various construction-related industries and intense training measures for Korean construction workers, engineers, city planners and architects.
Hamhung Grand Theatre was opened in 1984. The building is said to contain around 800 rooms and its main hall hosts various cultural performances. It is the largest theatre building in the country.
Hamhung is located 315 km from Pyongyang. It is a 113 km ride (about 3h bus drive) from Wonsan to Hamhung. The road does not go along the coasts, but over the plains.
The mountain rising at the northern end of Hamhung. It is 319m hill offering good views of the city. It is home for several attractions: Kumchon Pavilion, Hamhung Wall, Sonhwa Hall, Haebang Pavilion and some other old buildings.
Kumchon Pavilion is the northern general's terrace built in 1108, it functioned as a commanding post in wartime and a watch tower in peacetime. It was first built during Koryo dynasty and rebuilt in 1613 in the period of Ri dynasty.
Hamhung Wall is at the moment only part of the wall is preserved. It used to be single in mountain area and double in the field and flat areas. The present wall was rebuilt in 1108.
Sonhwa Hall is on the southern slope of Tonghung Mountain is Sonhwa Hall, dating from 1416, but rebuild in 1764. It also has the Chingchong Pavilion. It was the main building of the government office of the province in the period of Ri dynasty. Several building were there but only this Hall and the attached buildings have remained until today. The Hall was first built in 1416 and rebuilt in 1764.
General Li Sung Gye in 1392 was the founder of the Li (or Joseon) Dynasty. The small palace built by his son Yi Wang Bon in about 1400 was later destroyed in a fire, but it was later rebuilt in the 16th century. The main hall is still original and dates from the period. Besides the main hall there are some other buildings, among them a pavilion which was used for recreation by the family. But most of these buildings were destroyed in the Korea War and rebuild in the 1970th.
Ryangchon temple is situated at Rakchon-ri (South Hamgyong) at the foot of the picturesque Mt. Panryong. It was built in 753. It is one of the distinguished temples for its size and history. The temple consists of three buildings: Taeung Hall, Manse Pavilion and Muryangsu Hall, all of which were built in 753. The Taeung Hall was rebuilt in 1636 and Manse Pavilion in 1729. The Manse Pavilion is the biggest of the three. The Taeung Hall features detached paintings and a court dance painting on the inclined ceiling
Anbul temple stands at Tonghung-ri (South Hamgyong).Comprising Kuknakbo Hall and Minjok Hall. It was first built in 1393 and rebuilt in 1843. A 2000-year old gingko tree grows behind the temple.
Ryonghung temple is a Buddhist temple in Ponghung-ri, Yŏnggwang-gun. Located on the slopes of Mt. Paegun, the temple was founded in 1048 under the Koryo dynasty and later renovated in 1794 under Joseon. The complex includes the following halls: Taeung Hall, Hyangno Hall, Muryangsu Shrine, Sansin Shrine, and Unha Pavilion.
It extends 25 km southeast of Hamhung. The name Majon derives from the hemp which used to be planted a lot in old days. The beach offers beatiful 50-100 m wide white sandy beach, a rest home, a camp and sports facilities.
The Hungham fertiliser plant in Hamhung is the largest in the country. The plant was founded during Japanese occupation in 1927. The plant was destroyed during Korean War but In the 50th it was rebuilt. Nowadays the plant has 7,300 workers, among which 35% are women.
The farm is south-west of the city. It is a model village with about 1000 farmers. They grow rice, paddy rice, millet, corn, vegetables, poultry and pigs. There are kindergarten, and shop (enjoy local shopping) in the farm. You will also have a chance to visit a farmer's house.
The service persons of the Korean People's Revolutionary Army built secret bases in the northern mountainous area of Korea in the 1930s and the secret camp on Mt. Okryon in the Pujon Revolutionary Battle Site is one of them. Mount Okryon is about 3-4 hours drive north of Hamhung.
The landscape is mountainous and beautiful. On the Mt. Okryon the main attraction is the ‘River of Rocks’ - from the top at an elevation of 1550 meter there is a 60 meter wide and 800 meter long impressive ‘river’ of big rocks. Kim Jong Suk and other guerrillas stayed here in 1939. They lived in a small, simple cabin under some rocks.
The Pujon is a day trip from Hamhung. There is no accommodation in Pujon and thus you will need to return to Hamhung for overnight. Pujon is a hardly accessible place - it is open from June till September only with transport available only during dry days as rains turn roads into swamps in this mountain area.
In Hamhung area there are several hotel where you can stay:
We have group and individual tours visiting Hamhung. Drop us a message to check what options are available for you:firstname.lastname@example.org