• Korea Konsult
    Journeys to another world
  • Korea Konsult
    Scandinavian service & trust
  • Korea Konsult
    Europe's Leading Tour Operator to the DPRK
  • Korea Konsult
    Swedish Travel Guarantee Member
    • Svenska/Swedish
    • English
    • Français/French
    • Deutsch/German
    • Русский/Russian

    Visa Support

    North Korean visa | Chinese visa  | Russian and Mongolian visas | South Korean visa | Japanese visa

    When you travel with Korea Konsult, we ensure to offer you comprehensive support in obtaining the necessary visas on time, ensuring a hassle-free start to your journey!

    North Korean Visa

    To obtain a tourist visa for North Korea, it is necessary to book a complete package that includes hotel accommodation, transfers, guides, meals, etc. Typically, 99% of visa applications are approved. You will only be contacted by us if there is any issue with your application, and this communication will take place no later than 20 days before the tour starts. Please refer to our North Korean visa FAQ page here >>

    NOTE: The DPRK prohibits journalists and photographers (both professional and semi-professional) from entering the country on tourist visas. Instead, they are required to apply for a special journalist/mass media visa. Kindly specify your occupation when completing the visa application form. Providing inaccurate information in the visa application could lead to severe consequences for us as a tour operator, as well as for our Korean partners and DPRK Embassy staff.

    The approval for a North Korean visa is only valid for a specific passport number. If you need to change your passport, please inform us at the time of booking. Otherwise, a new visa approval must be issued for the new passport, and you will be required to pay the visa fee once again.

    There are several options to arrange your North Korean visa:

    Country to issue North Korean visa
    Benefits & Process
    visa fee
    in Stockholm, Sweden

    Recommended option for European residents


    Starting from the beginning of 2014 we have been processing most visas to North Korea for our European clients here in Sweden. This option provides convenient and hassle-free way to apply for the DPRK visa - no need to deal with the DPRK Embassy on your own (not always easy).

    If you live in Europe please send us your passport, application form and photo by REGISTERED or EXPRESS MAIL 1.5 months prior to your departure to North Korea. Registered mail is normally delivered within 3~4 working days across Europe, and Express mail is normally delivered within 1 working day.

    After we have received your documents usually we need 3~5 working days to process visa and send passport back to you.

    Required documents:

    60 Euro + Postal expenses
    in Beijing, China


    Korea Konsult will apply on your behalf for visa approval in advance so that you may pick-up your DPRK visa upon your arrival in Beijing one day prior to the departure to North Korea. There is no need to submit in advance your original passport for visa process, or even visit an embassy in Beijing.

    In Beijing DPRK visa is issued as an independent, separate from your passport document called "Tourist Card" which will not be stamped into your passport. All entry/exit stamps will be put on this Tourist Card and thus in your passport there will be no any records of your trip to North Korea.

    About 10 days prior the departure to the DPRK we will send detailed instructions about the visa pick-up in Beijing - you can arrange convenient meeting time with our agent in Beijing to pick up your DPRK visa (tourist card).

    Required documents:

    60 Euro
    in the country of your residence


    This option is applicable only if your country of residence has a North Korean diplomatic mission or embassy (there are only a few DPRK embassies worldwide).

    Korea Konsult will, on your behalf, initiate the DPRK visa application process in the country of your residence. We will inform you once the relevant DPRK Embassy has secured the visa approval for you. Subsequently, you are required to independently contact the Embassy to schedule an appointment for in-person visa pickup or to make arrangements for visa delivery by mail.

    Required documents:

    • Your passport (e-copy and original)
    • Employment certificate (e-copy)
    • DPRK visa application form (signed original) : click here to download >>
    • Consent letter (e-copy) : click here to download >>
    • Photo (original)
    • Visa fee in cash to be paid to the Embassy
    Depends on country

    DPRK Visa Photo Requirements: the photo should be taken within last 6 months in colour, 45 millimetres (mm) high by 35mm wide, taken against a plain cream or light grey background, clear and in focus. When you send us e-copy please make sure you have a colour copy of your photo.

    Chinese Visa

    Latest news:

    China has declared a temporary one-year visa exemption for citizens from Malaysia and five European countries: France, Germany, Italy, the Netherlands, and Spain. This visa exemption, valid from December 1, 2023, to November 30, 2024, is applicable to individuals entering China for purposes such as business, tourism, visiting relatives and friends, or transiting for a duration not exceeding 15 days.

    General rules:

    For a journey to North Korea, tourists typically require a double-entry Chinese visa when transiting through China. KoreaKonsult will provide you with a tour confirmation to facilitate the acquisition of a Chinese visa in your country of residence. There is no need for you to send us your passport. Ensure that your passport remains valid for at least six months beyond the expiration date.


    24-hour rule 144-hour rule

    Foreigners (regardless of nationality) who have confirmed onward tickets and seats on international flights and directly transit through China and stay for no more than 24 hours after arrival do not need for to apply for Chinese visa.

    Visa-free transit is NOT applicable if you arrive or leave China by train or any other mode of transport than air.

    As of Dec 27, 2017, citizens of 53 countries do not need to apply for a visa to China if they are traveling in transit via Beijing, Tianjin and Hebei to third countries and have confirmed onwards tickets within 144 hours after arrival. It enables air, train, and ship passengers heading for a third country or region to stay within the three places. Passengers are allowed to enter and exit from any of these ports:

    • Beijing: Capital International Airport, Beijing West Railway Station
    • Tianjin: Binhai International Airport, Tianjin International Cruise Home Port
    • Shijiazhuang of Hebei: Zhengding International Airport
    • Qinghuangdao of Hebei: Qinhuangdao Port
    NOTE: if you leave Beijing, Tianjin or Hebei through other ports you will need a Chinese visa.

    List of 53 Qualified Countries for 144 hour rule:

    • 24 Schengen Agreement Countries: Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland
    • 15 Other European Countries: Russia, the United Kingdom, Ireland, Cyprus, Bulgaria, Romania, Ukraine, Serbia, Croatia, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Montenegro, Macedonia (FYROM), Albania, Belarus, Monaco
    • 6 American Countries: the United States, Canada, Brazil, Mexico, Argentina, Chile
    • 2 Oceania Countries: Australia, New Zealand
    • 6 Asian Countries: Korea, Japan, Singapore, Brunei, United Arab Emirates, Qatar

    Russian and Mongolian visas

    • Option A (mainly for EU residents with EU citizenship): KoreaKonsult will arrange Russian and Mongolian visas in Sweden. You have to send us your passport and supporting documents. This service is primarily available for EU residents with EU citizenship. However, if you live in Europe but do not hold any EU citizenship we might still arrange your visas, please contact us for more details.
    • Option B (for residents of any country including Swedish residents who prefer to arrange visa on their own): You don't need to send us your passport. KoreaKonsult will send you necessary documents to obtain visa on your own in your country of residence.

    South Korean visa

    EU citizens, citizens of US, Canada, and Russia do not need visa to enter South Korea. If your country does require entry visa to South Korea we will send you tour confirmation documents for your visa application in your country of residence.

    Japanese visa

    EU citizens, citizens of US, and Canada do not need visa to enter Japan. If your country does require entry visa to Japan we will send you tour confirmation documents for your visa application in your country of residence.